K-YBGL | β-Glucan Assay Kit (Yeast & Mushroom)
β-Glucan (Yeast & Mushroom) Assay Kit is suitable for the measurement and analysis of 1,3:1,6-β-glucan and α-glucan in yeast and mushroom preparations.
New, improved procedure.
Several acid and enzyme-based methods for the hydrolysis of β-glucan were compared and the best option was the method using H2SO4. For most samples, similar β-glucan values were obtained with both the optimized HCl and H2SO4 procedures. However, in the case of certain samples, specifically Ganoderma lucidum and Poria cocus, the H2SO4 procedure resulted in significantly higher values.
McCleary, B.V. & Draga, A. (2016). Measurement of β-Glucan in Mushrooms and Mycelial Products. Journal of AOAC International, Vol. 99, No. 2.
The kit components have not been altered from previous lots.
Colourimetric method for the determination of Yeast and Mushroom β-Glucan in yeast, mushroom, foodstuffs and other materials
(12 M H2SO4, 0°C, 2 h)
(1) 1,3:1,6-β-Glucan + 1,3-β-glucan + α-glucan + H2O → soluble glucan
(1 M H2SO4, 100°C, 2 h)
(2) Soluble glucan + H2O → D-glucose + laminarisaccharides (trace)
(exo-1,3-β-glucanase + β-glucosidase)
(3) Laminarisaccharides + H2O → D-glucose
(4) D-Glucose + H2O + O2 → D-gluconate + H2O2
(5) 2H2O2 + p-hydroxybenzoic acid + 4-aminoantipyrine → quinoneimine + 4H2O
(6) α-Glucan + H2O → D-glucose
Kit size: 100 assays
Method: Spectrophotometric at 510 nm
Total assay time: ~ 100 min
Detection limit: 1-100% of sample weight
Yeast preparations, mushroom preparations and other materials
Method recognition: Novel method